Friday, May 22, 2015

365 Project - Day 203

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." Victor Hugo

My children spend a good portion of their days with headphones in or over their ears. I don't get it. Are they trying to hear or not to hear? I suspect reality is a mix of both. As musicians and film and TV connoisseurs, it is possible they are also escaping into imaginary worlds created by the medium of the moment. And while I may find it annoying to see them with a cord constantly dangling from their ears, things could be far worse.

This old pair of headphones belongs to my husband and sits in the corner of our music / art room. They may be his headphones from his teen years as part of his family's garage band, Bean Dip. If so, they endured a lot of head banging, loud rock and roll, and youthful nonsense while he played guitar with his brothers. Yet, they are in great shape.

Music is one of my favorite things and has been for as long as I can remember. When I was in grammar school, I would listen to the same songs over and over and then choreograph dance routines for my friends and me to perform for my family. There are plenty of stories of me singing "Born Free" at the top of my lungs while my family begged me to stop. Had headphones been as prevalent, and music as portable, then as now, I cannot imagine ever speaking to anyone. I would have retreated into my own little musical world eternally. So, I guess I do understand.

I agree with those who believe that music heals and gives flight. My children were born with music playing in the operating room - a small request made by me to my physicians - I selected the music. I am convinced they listen, feel and react differently because they are musical beings. I believe in Plato's, "Music is a more potent instrument than any for education, because rhythm and harmony find their way into the inward places of the soul." And I am with Casals, "Music is the divine way to tell beautiful, poetic things to the heart."

The music cannot be hollow noise, however, I believe you have to plug in and intentionally listen to feel the gift.

Warm blessings.

Today's Photo: Are you listening?



"Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:18-20







EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 640
50mm
f2
1/90s


No comments:

Post a Comment