Saturday, May 23, 2015

365 Project - Day 204

"I have four things to learn in life. To think clearly without hurry or confusion. To love everybody sincerely. To act in everything with the highest motives. To trust in God unhesitatingly." Albert Schweitzer

The Church of Saint Mary the Virgin is located on 46th Street in New York City, just a few quick steps away from Times Square. As my husband and I took a brief one block walk the other day, I nearly missed the church. He pointed it out while I was looking the other direction trying desperately to find an interesting photo op. We had a few minutes before we had to meet up with the choral group we were chaperoning, so we hurried up the steps and inside. The church is stunningly huge at 180 feet long. It is built in a lovely French gothic cathedral style modeled after the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris (one of the churches in the DaVinci Code).

Of course, we didn't have the time to be reverent and also properly scope out the church, take a tour, decide on the best angles for photos, etc. I only had time enough to quickly adjust my camera settings from the bright sunlight outside to the quiet, dimly lit interior and walk a few steps into the aisle to take my urgent photographs without disturbing those who needed of the peace and solitude of the church. I'm hoping the next time we are amongst the maddening crowds of Times Square, we're able to take a moment to sneak away to St. Mary's for a more intentional visit. It's hard to believe that we have missed this church during all previous Times Square trips.

The juxtaposition of this church is fascinating. I imagine it offers respite for those who are entangled in the day to day hustle and bustle of one of the craziest places in the world; peace to the deeply troubled; rest for the weary; rejuvenation for the downtrodden; renewal for the beaten. Though ours was not a spiritually awakened visit, I can still close my eyes and picture the few people in the pews and still feel the church's warmth.

To be sure, I would need such a place if I spent much time in Times Square. As I also think about the hurried adjustment to my camera, I am reminded that to experience the fullness of the presence of God, we must adjust ourselves. While He is with us as we rush through our days, if we want to find peace, strength, support and extra grace, then we must pause and shift to a quieter place where we can listen and receive those gifts from God.

Blessings.

Today's Photos: Saint Mary's Times Square




"Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you." 2 Corinthians 13:11






EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 1000
35mm
Pic 1
f1.8
1/45s
Pic 2
f4
1/60s

No comments:

Post a Comment