Tuesday, May 12, 2015

365 Project - Day 193

When I retired a year ago, my first big project was my garden. I thought, what do retired people do? The first thing that came to mind was "work in the garden." As with all things, I jumped in with gusto. I quickly planned my gardens, organized my tools and acquired 70 plants. I instructed my husband not to get involved, notifying him that I would be digging the holes, tilling the soil, fertilizing, planting, watering and caring for my new project entirely on my own. Needless to say, I was, as always, overzealous!

I had no reference and, therefore, no real imagination with which to visualize holes twice as wide and twice as deep, as I carried each plant and bush from my SUV. With each shovel and heave-ho, I grew less and less ambitious, eventually begging my husband to dig new holes while I tarried about. I can still vividly remember working the section of the garden where these purple phlox pictured below are planted. I toiled for days and then planted these tiny delicate plants in the rain, knowing as the skies darkened and the rain intensified that my efforts were futile. My husband graciously covered the bed with a tarp, but by the end of the downpour the garden was a mud marsh.

As summer wore on, the phlox plants bore few leaves, looked weak and listless. Not at all resembling the lovely light, airy dedicate plants I was so excited to purchase from the nursery. By mid-Fall, there was nothing left and with a broken leg, I had no interest in caring for them. Frankly, I haven't given my gardens much thought during this never-ending winter until now.

Now, I am stunned at the rebirth and resilience of these plants. This is truly astonishing. Not only am I witnessing their Lazarus effect, but they are vibrant and flourishing beyond their prior state. They are no longer light and airy. There is beauty, depth, growth and strength. These plants have an altogether new life! In the photograph, you can see new blossoms unfolding. And, where I planted a single stalk, multiples have risen. After a long [unpleasant] winter's rest, the phlox have come alive redefined, reinvigorated, renewed, resilient.

Now that's something to emulate!

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: True Spring Rebirth



"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life the Lord has promised to those who love him." James 1:12






EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 320
70mm
f9.5
1/750

No comments:

Post a Comment