Thursday, May 14, 2015

365 Project - Day 195

I'm working to find ways to stretch myself with minimal tools. I am not interested in dragging out a lot of equipment. I'm just trying to keep things simple and learn through that simplicity. I, once again, tortured my son to oblige me with a quick headshot session. I tried explaining that I needed a new photograph for his graduation party invitations. He immediately recognized this as a ploy and said I should use any one of the headshots I have taken during the past year. Undeterred, I begged. I promised I would not take up more than 15 minutes of his time. In the end, he granted me 5 minutes before he had to rush out for work. At that point, I truly was stretching myself.

I wanted to take the shots outdoors in the late afternoon sun. Most of my headshots have been in an indoor studio. I quickly selected two locations in our back garden - one with the sun behind him and this one against the brick fireplace chimney. Despite the speedy session, we walked away with a couple of decent photographs. This portrait is his personal favorite. I wasn't sure I would like the shadows, but they add a nice dramatic dimension to the photo.

Our hurriedness forced me to choose what was most important in the moment. I did not have the time to concern myself with everything. I had to narrow my focus to light, framing and expression. Three things. Whatever else was happening or may normally have been important to me, fell away. Looking back, shedding the weight of anxiety about all else was liberating. Creating an intensity on the 3 critical aspects of his photos allowed me to capture his best. And, took my concept of simplification to a new level.

My wisdom from this moment is that my best requires deeper focus coupled with less effort.

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: Simple Intensity



"The blessing of the Lord brings wealth, without painful toil for it." Proverbs 10:22







EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 200
50mm
f/4.8
1/1000s


No comments:

Post a Comment