Sunday, May 17, 2015

365 Project - Day 198

"All I have seen teaches me to trust the creator for all I have not seen." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I used to write "Happy Birthday" with a bar of soap on my sons' mirrors when they were younger. I thought it would be fun for them to awake in the morning with a cheerful message celebrating them. The writing was large with hearts and other cute drawings. My way of letting them know they were super special.

Likewise, at times, I have asked God to give me bold, clear messages. I would prefer something akin to a burning bush, a loud booming voice, or an indisputable miraculous occurrence (like a stick-snake-stick or water-wine thing). To be candid, my prayer ends something like this, "...so that I know that I am not schizophrenic!" You know, sort of just listening to tiny voices in my head and making stuff up as I go along. I would even settle for a soap message on my mirror, "My dear, here are your personal instructions for the next phase of your life. Follow these precise steps. XO God" Wouldn't that be awesome? So crisp, so clear. Perfect wisdom.

I have been reading a book in which the Devil makes a claim that he is a better salesman than God. And, our pastor mentioned in today's sermon that the enemy's voice is louder than God's because he stands at a distance and shouts. God, he said, is right by our side, whispering. But we don't always hear ("frantic, focused on negatives", etc) and when we do, I'm afraid we don't always listen.

Too often, when God says, "you know what to do," I hang on like this bird, bracing myself, contemplating the action, thinking and planning, running worst case scenarios and waiting for the perfect moment. And God's response is "Get on with it. People need what you have. I've got your back!" In fact, I heard that just this past week.

I believe the true disconnect is this: wisdom requires faith which requires action. Faith in action is how we illustrate the confident knowledge of who God wants us to be.

So, I'm ready to take off. Are you? If not, what are you waiting for? God is whispering.

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: It's time to fly


"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom...But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere." James 13, 17


ps - I awoke this morning to find this bird feeder missing. The hook had been broken and the feeder disappeared. I later found it 10 yards away, empty. I am baffled by what might have occurred in my gated garden last night.







EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 400
280mm
f4
1/500s

No comments:

Post a Comment