Thursday, May 7, 2015

365 Project - Day 188

"If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain."
– Emily Dickinson

When I came upon this Emily Dickinson poem today, I stopped to breathe it in. Two events seemed to converge in a single poem: my 36 hour social media frenzy tied to the Give Local America campaign and the robins nesting on my front door. I suppose one could stretch the latter to my growing obsession over feeding the birds in my garden.

I feel this increasing sense of hope and joy, peace and balance as I tend to these birds, while ensuring I don't become like the "feed the birds" woman in Mary Poppins! The good news is battling the squirrels, ravens and gnats is keeping me from losing my edge.

We are now 100% certain the robins are nesting on our front door. I took a peek the other day. I know Mrs. Robin is tiny in the photo - I did not want to disturb her.

Should I be concerned about the health of my trees now that I have two types of woodpeckers hanging out? These typically anti-social birds, are homing in more everyday.

IMHO - If you're in need of a more peaceful existence, try one of these paths. The first is to help someone, as Ms. Dickinson says, if you can ease one life from aching, you will not have lived in vain. The second is to hang with the birds, they will alter your psyche. And either or both will bring you hope.

Blessings.

Today's Photos: Hope!





“Hope” is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops - at all -
-Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment