Monday, January 5, 2015

365 Project - Day 67

First snowfall of 2015! Is it safe to say that I hope it's the last? The weather has been crazy - 50 degrees one day and then a few days later, it's in the 20s. I can't complain too much because I spend very little time outside. I am so very grateful for that. I am still, now 15 years after moving from Texas, adjusting to these northeastern winters!

Saturday afternoon, the forecast was for 1-3" of snow. The snow came down on time and quickly, "heavy at times". It was brutal and untimely because my younger brother and his family were planning on driving up from their brief visit to NYC to spend a few hours with us. We were all excited about seeing them, if only for a short while, but the snow got in the way.

While we were debating whether it was safe for them to drive up, I stepped outside by myself to take a few photos. I did not go far and I did not take the time to put on a shoe or a jacket. So I was not out for long. This photograph was shot from my front porch toward the right side of our garden. It is my favorite photo of the day and one of my all time favorites. To process this photo, I used Matt Kloskowski's Black and White Tonal Presets. I apologize that I cannot recall which setting I used because I edited from there, but I believe I started with "low contrast". I have looked at this photo many times since I finished processing it. To me, it has depth of character, despite not having a central focal point. I'm especially pleased, given I took this while standing on crutches on my front porch! As a note, I used my SB700 speed light to aid in my attempt to capture the huge snowflakes falling from the sky.

I hope you enjoy it.

Blessed wishes!

Today's Photo: "40% chance of snow; 100% chance of blessings"



"Above the clouds with its shadow is the star with its light. Above all things reverence thyself." Pythagoras

"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, Lord. They rejoice in your name all day long; they celebrate your righteousness. For you are their glory and strength, and by your favor you exalt our horn." Psalm 89:15-17



EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 100
50mm
f5.6
1/250 (on camera speed light)

No comments:

Post a Comment