Thursday, January 15, 2015

365 Project - Day 77

James said, "Every good action and perfect gift is from God." (James 1:17) Ever feel like you need a day filled with good actions and perfect gifts? Just one day, right? No steps back, only steps forward. If only life was so. I've come to discover the secret to a life filled in this way, is seeing it thus. What does this mean? It means recognizing the many gifts we are given in the everyday existence of our lives. It is adopting a soul of gratitude for all that you have and seeing your life as more full, even with little, than scarce.

In a couple of days, I will write of the momentary frustration I felt today and believe me, you will see it in my photograph. Even in that frustration and in that awkward photograph, however, there is a perfect gift.

"Good" actions and "Perfect" gifts are cannot be determined by how we feel at the moment we experience or receive them, but by how we are changed. It is possible we may see them as mediocre and imperfect. We tend to view everything we experience from our own lens. We expect things to happen a certain way and when we don't experience life the way we anticipate, our world seems askew. Yet God is improving our lives in the very moment His actions take place, regardless of our interpretation. I broke my leg 2.5 months ago. It is certainly not how I envisioned spending the last few months, but it has been a blessing in many ways. And, I am cool with it! One of the best outcomes of "the incident" (as I like to refer to my fall) is that I am more present and mindful in all situations. I can't do multiple things and it takes a long time to accomplish one thing because of both the inconvenience and my deepened intensity. I also am stoked by James 1:12, "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him."

If we can stay focused on the fact that God has a better plan for our lives than our own plan, then perhaps we can start to see more actions as good and more gifts as perfect. And then know that when we need help, we need God. When we do this, we fill our days with gratitude and open our hearts to receive more blessings and more grace until it spills over to all we touch. Now, I would say that is life lived forward, wouldn't you?

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: Toward Gratitude and Grace



"Every good action and perfect gift is from God." James 1:17


No comments:

Post a Comment