Thursday, January 8, 2015

365 Project - Day 70

This is one of those photos that is on my project list. That is to say the subject was and still is on my project list. My immediate and extended family enjoy playing Monopoly with me. It seems no matter how far ahead I might be at any one point in the game, if they stick with it long enough, they will inevitably win. The best players I've competed with were a couple of French teenagers staying with us one summer. They were visiting from two different regions in France and they knew every minute detail of the rules. We argued over the rules and then I would double check and they would be right. It was tedious. They were, hands down, the best strategists we've played. Our first game together happened one evening when just the three of us were around. I thought this would be a simple, rather innocuous game for us to try. I was so very wrong. We played a long game. At some point, they chose to partner to build their wealth and collaborate against me. Then when it was clear that I was ready to call it quits, they felt sorry for me. I was their mom for the summer and this was what I would have expected from my biological children. They taunted me and we laughed and joked for hours. It was terrific fun for the three of us.

One of the reasons I like this particular arrangement out of all of the photos I took, is I'm enamored with the shiny cowboy on his horse on Boardwalk. Seems whimsical and illogical. Is it absurd? Perhaps this is a person who knows both where they are from and where they are going and is not timid about taking necessary risks to yield extraordinary gains! The blue cast is a happy accident, in my opinion. I neglected to change the white balance after shooting the show on Monday night and this is the result. I, frankly, preferred this "cool florescent" to the auto WB I chose for the rest of the photos. I believe it makes the game more inviting. I will be working on a few more of these photos over the next 300ish days, but this is a solid baseline.

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: The Rhinestone Cowboy Wins



"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." T. S. Elliott


EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 200
50mm
f/5.6
1/250 (on camera speed light bouncing off the ceiling)

No comments:

Post a Comment