Wednesday, January 21, 2015

365 Project - Day 83

The meeting in Sturbridge had gone very well, but much longer than I anticipated. Before I left home, now 4.5 hours earlier, I had packed my camera and zoom lens in the trunk of my car, certain that I would have plenty of time to search southwest Massachusetts for great photo ops. Instead, at 3:00, I had no plan, it was cold outside and I was short on time. "Old Sturbridge" was not very exciting and aside from a couple of colorful ducks on the side of a busy backwoods two-lane road, I could find little of interest. I stopped to take a couple of photos of the the ducks, but I could not get out of the car with my crutches and the road was quite narrow. Frustrated, I headed home.

The sky as I drove West on I-84 was filled with a mixture of blue sky, clouds and sun. I snapped photos as I drove. "Say What??" Yep, I'm one of those ;-) I could tell the sunset would be really nice and wished I could stop and wait somewhere, but I knew my family expected me home and I was already quite late. I also knew I wasn't prepared for a sunset. Not dressed warmly enough and no tripod. A little later I noticed the sky turning a rich, deep blue color. There's much discussion in of the blue hour, in photography and this evening was truly spectacular. I thought I might make it home in time to capture it, but I got stuck in traffic.

I just arrived in time for the fading moments of the blue hour, just after the sunset and just as the darkness befalls the day. The color was so beautiful, that I almost did not care what else I captured, I simply felt compelled to capture the color of the sky. I stopped as I drove up my driveway, bracing the camera on the windowsill as a makeshift tripod. I knew that by the time I got inside the house and gathered my tripod for a more proper shot, the moment would be gone. So, composition may not be a standout, but I'm okay with that. I drove to Mass and back, my first long drive since breaking my leg. Enjoyed the inaugural board meeting of a newly formed nonprofit and am feeling blessed.

Best wishes!

Today's Photo: l'heure bleue bénie



"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." Maya Angelou




EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 1000
35mm
f1.8
1/6



No comments:

Post a Comment