Sunday, January 25, 2015

365 Project - Day 87

I have come to believe that embracing the full magnitude of me requires stretching beyond what I know, understand and believe is within my capabilities to strengthen my talents. It often also includes pushing myself to take actions that I had not imagined. Perhaps you have experienced this, as well.

While I like flowers, have adorned my walls with original paintings of flowers and marvel at flower photography by others, until stuck inside with little imagination, it never occurred to me to photograph flowers as art. I chose to begin with the purity of the flowers before messing with water and glycerin or anything ultra creative or unnatural. This series of tulips and gerbera daisies is simply these flowers in their native state. When I have more flexibility and space, I will get more creative. In the meantime, I have been obsessed with the tulips. They have both brought me joy and frustrated me over the last few days. And, yes, there are more 365 flower photos to come!

When I was choosing flowers for my wedding, I was picky and had a small selection of flowers I wanted for my bouquet. Unlike most, I am not enamored with roses. I think I've said this before, they are simply too common. I really wanted tulips in my bouquet and despite my incessant nagging, the florist was clear. Tulips would not survive the day. He was right. They are lovely, but far too delicate for someone like me. They very quickly get serious curvature of the spine. While they remain beautiful, they droop.

I wish I would look so beautiful when I also felt weak and weary. Perhaps the answer is in experiencing peace regardless of the situations we face. I used to find it odd that in the middle of turmoil people would speak of the "peace that passes all understanding" until I understood the context: "In nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7) Now that makes sense, right? Tell Him what makes you anxious, turn it over to Him, let Him handle it, be grateful, move on, peacefully, knowing God is in control.

I found in toying with the tulips today that they are not quite as fragile as they appear. I have not been gentle. In fact, though they were droopy at the end of the day, when I rearranged and propped them up in front of the window, they were tall and fresh the next morning. A metaphor, perhaps. I am stronger and more capable than I tend to believe; made stronger still, with God's ever present help.

Best wishes


Today's Photo: The Light Strengthens Me


"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." Philippians 4:8






EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 160
50mm
f/11
1/1s





No comments:

Post a Comment