Tuesday, January 20, 2015

365 Project - Day 82

We went as a family to see the movie, Selma, yesterday. My youngest son thought it appropriate to see it on Martin Luther King's birthday. Since both of my sons plan to direct movies for a career, one as a Director of Photography and the other as a Director/Producer, we go to see a lot of movies. Someone once said that it was unlikely we had seen "enough" movies. Not sure how that is possible because the list is always long and we see movies at least once a week, either at home or in the theater. We all agreed that Selma was a good movie. There was a lot to like and it left us with much to think about.

I am awestruck by MLK's conviction to serve and his myopic focus on righting a singular wrong, with tremendous courage and strength. I don't know that I would have managed half as well as King and the Southern Christian Leadership Council in those days. Yet they overcame their personal anxieties and pushed forward driven to lead. Strangely, several times throughout the day, I replayed the jail scene when MLK was reminded of Matthew 6:25-27, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" Though the verses are a tiny part in the movie and were said in a low whisper, they sounded like shouting in my ears, "KBP, did you get that?" Yes - it was my personal message! I know well that we likely shorten our lives by excessively worrying and lengthen our lives by stepping out and helping others.

Yesterday, I also had a luncheon meeting as a founding board member for a new nonprofit organization working with at-risk youth in Boston. The team has already begun exciting work. This combines the things I most enjoy, music, youth and leadership. I am excited about the road ahead and stoked to begin this new journey of service.

Best wishes!


Today's Photo: "I have a dream ..."



"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'what are you doing for others?'" Martin Luther King, Jr.




EXIF: Nikon D7100
ISO 800
50mm
f4
1/180 (on camera flash)

No comments:

Post a Comment